Here is a virtual but warm greeting from Ziqiao, as you just came across his page!
As many of my non-Chinese friends found it hard to pronounce my Chinese name (马子乔 pronounced as Tsz-Chaw in Mandarin),
it's absolutely fine to just call me Martin alternatively.
I am a second-year Ph.D. student in the Computer Science and Engineering Department at the University of Michigan.
I work with Professor Joyce Chai
as a member of the Situated Language and Embodied Dialogue (SLED) Lab.
I am also enrolled in the Cognitive Science program.
Prior than that, I obtained my Dual Bachelor's Degree in
at the University of Michigan and
Electrical and Computer Engineering
at Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
My current research focuses on Natural Language Processing
(Language Grounding, Dialogue Systems, Language Acquisition),
(Human-Robot Communication, Navigation, Instruction Following),
and Machine Learning (Graph Neural Networks, Data-Efficient Learning).
⚠ ⚠ ⚠
- My undergrad collaborators, Jiayi Pan and Yidong Huang, are looking for grad school opportunities. They are extremely talented, self-motivated, and pleasant to work with. Please consider them if you have openings!
[Oct. 2022] Two papers accepted to EMNLP and Findings 2022, and I will serve as an on-site volunteer :)
[Sep. 2022] I will serve as the Poster/Demo Session Chair for Michigan AI Symposium 2022.
[Aug. 2022] I will be the Graduate Student Instructor for EECS 595 (NLP) in Fall 2022 at Michigan.
[Aug. 2021] I graduated from SJTU!
[May. 2021] I graduated from Michigan!
[Mar. 2021] I will join the family of the Michigan AI as a Ph.D. student this fall. Go Blue!
[Dec. 2020] I will be the Instructional Aide for EECS 492 (Intro. AI) in Winter 2021 at Michigan.
[May. 2020] I will be the Teaching Assistant for VE 492 (Intro. AI) and VE 280 (Program. & Intro. Data Struct.) Summer 2020 at SJTU.
If you would like to have a random chat with me, please visit my calendly page.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor | Sept 2021 - May 2026 (Expected)
Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering, Certificate in Cognitive Science
Advisor: Joyce Chai
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor | Sept 2019 - May 2021
B.S.E in Computer Science, Minor in Mathematics (Summa Cum Laude)
Advisors: Joyce Chai, Qiaozhu Mei, Jie Liu
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai | Sept 2017 - Aug 2021
B.S.E in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Technische Universität Berlin, Berlin | Jan 2019 - Feb 2019
Chengdu Foreign Languages School, Chengdu | Sept 2011 - June 2017
* indicates equal contributions.
Spoken Dialogue for Handling Unexpected Situations in Interactive Autonomous Driving Agents
Ziqiao Ma, Benjamin VanDerPloeg*, Cristian-Paul Bara*, Huang Yidong*, Eui-In Kim, Felix Gervits, Matthew Marge, Joyce Chai
Findings of EMNLP & SereTOD, 2022
#VisionLanguageNavigation #SituatedDialogue #EmbodiedAI
DANLI: Deliberative Agent for Following Natural Language Instructions
Yichi Zhang, Jianing Yang, Shane Storks, Jiayi Pan, Nikhil Devraj, Ziqiao Ma, Keunwoo Peter Yu, Yuwei Bao, Joyce Chai
EMNLP (Oral), 2022
#InstructionFollowing #NeuroSymbolic #EmbodiedAI
Partition-Based Active Learning for Graph Neural Networks
Jiaqi Ma*, Ziqiao Ma*, Joyce Chai, Qiaozhu Mei
DLG-KDD (Oral), 2022
I've been fortunate to work with these amazingly talented students:
I understand that access to research oppotunities can be hard, particularly for beginners and the underrepresented.
If there is a match in research interests, I am happy to collaborate with undergrads and masters when I have the bandwidth.
Please check the following topics of interests and fill this out if you want to work with me.
- Understanding, acquiring and using sensorimotor-grounded language and world knowledge.
- Cognitively motivated human-agent communication in physical environments.
- Machine learning that is (inter)active, data-efficient and continual on (semi-)structured data.
- I was born and raised up in Chengdu, the home of pandas.
- I am proud of Chengdu Foreign Languages School, my high school, and identify myself as a CFLSer. 成外人永远不会成外人.
- My dream school during high school was The University of Hong Kong (HKU), yet I declined the offer of BSc(QFin) in pursuit of my engineering dream.
- I love literature and drama. I am particularly interested in Shakespeare's plays, ancient Chinese drama and modern Asian literature. Here is one of my essays about Cross-dressed Heroines in Comedies.
- I am a super fan of Nightwish.
My favourite album is Imaginaerum.
- Jimmy Zhang SDE @ Microsoft, Suzhou, China.
- Sway Ye Ph.D. @ SJTU, Shanghai, China.
- Joy Dong Ph.D. @ UMICH, Ann Arbor, US.
- Haoyang Zhang Ph.D. @ UIUC, Champaign, US.
- ...(if you want to get linked just message me 😏)
Get In Touch
You are welcome to drop me a message :)
Bob and Betty Beyster Building 4909,
2260 Hayward Street,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109.